dijous, 30 de juny del 2011

Trip to Bethlehem

On my second day in Israel I have already travelled to the Occupied Palestinian Territories. Yesterday we went to Bethlehem to have a meeting with a representative of a Palestinian Youth Organization who will most surely collaborate with our organization.

This trip has been something really new and important for me as I was really interested in seeing what Palestine would look like. The trip has gone without any incident, even if we passed through some checkpoints, it seems for a group of Israelis (or apparent Israelis) with an Israeli car it is easy to travel in and out of the OPT. On the way there, I was able to travel on the road that used to be only for Israelis, but now is "open " to Palestinians too. It is interesting to see how everything is between walls, so that you do not actually see any Palestinian village during the way. The only thing that you can see are the settlements on top of the mountains.



I did not visit anything special in Bethlehem, but had the chance to see the landscape that the city offers.




It is like life is not unbearable here. People live and have their time to go out and have some relative fun. Some industry is starting to emerge. But I still think for many people time goes by very slowly here:


And this is not surprising, bearing in mind that there is a wall surrounding it that prevents Palestinians to go in or out without Israeli permission:


On the way back we passed through Jerusalem, a place I will definitely come and visit carefully. However, it was interesting to pass through the ultra-orthodox neighbourhoods where you can see women in "hijab":


And many ultra-orthodox Jews. This has been something new for me and something I have liked a lot, even though I have been told tourists are not very welcome in these neighbourhoods.



I will finally leave you with a picture of the wonderful views from Jaffa's beach. After all this place is amazing. Interesting for its mixture of cultures and religions and beautiful for its landscapes. Such a pity it is stained with the blood of a war no one here really needs.

2 comentaris:

  1. So much to say!!!

    1. The roads are between 2 walls because during the 2nd intifada, Palestinian militants would shoot at Israelis driving on the road with guns and killed people. The walls aren't separation barriers per-say, they're to prevent people being shot at on the roads. I thought it was curious too.

    2. I don't know about the socio-economic situation in Bethlehem, considering it's a Christian tourist destination, but you could ask at work - what is the rate of unemployment? In the WB in general it's high, is it different in Bethlehem?

    3. I'm so jealous you got to go there! And your work sounds more hands-on and fun than mine :P

    4. You'll see lots of Orthodox Jewish women who cover their hair. Another curious thing they do is they don't wear pants!

    5. I really want to visit the ultra-orthodox neighbourhoods of Jerusalem too! I've heard in some they can be so violent against foreigners who aren't from the community that even Israeli police are scared to go there!

    ResponElimina
  2. 1. I didn't mean they were separation barriers, but it is very curious that on the way from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem through this road, it is virtually impossible to recognize Palestinian life around you, and there are many villages.

    4. I know. It's just funny to see this after the many discussions we have in Europe with religious dresses for women.

    5. I would like to go back, it was really interesting. Although I can understand it's not fun to be a touristic attraction, hehehe, that's probably why they don't want tourists in there.

    Thanks for commenting!

    ResponElimina